A tailor is a fashion necessity. There is no one that walks into a store, puts on a read-to-wear garment and is ready to go as-is all the time. For those times that a garment is almost there, but needs a hem taken up or a seam taken in, you need a professional tailor.
The hard part now is finding, not only a good tailor, but a good tailor in your area with decent prices. My absolute favorite San Diego tailor in every way just retired, leaving me in weeping confusion to deal with that task; but, once I dried my eyes I was ready to hunt down, not only the best tailor in my area, but the best tailors in all of San Diego's major areas - listed below. Scroll down to find the best in your area.
Kiki’s Alterations (858) 456-7865
7742 Herschel Ave
La Jolla, Ca 92037-4439
-Known for her work on more major alterations and delicate items as well as simple hems. Plus, fast delivery at affordable prices.
- "You pay for the quality that you get and you can expect the best! This is the place to go for more 'challenging' alterations or delicate fabrics. They are amazing!!!"
- "They did an excellent job on an expensive Theory blazer; sleeves and lining hemmed to look just like before for a mere $16 for original hem, $10 regular hems"
Castelli’s Custom Tailoring and Alterations (858) 456-1333
6986 La Jolla Blvd
La Jolla, CA, 92037
-Known for their inexpensive prices: $9 for simple hems on jeans.
- "Mr. Castelli is super-talented, reasonably priced and really nice. Their prices are totally fair and the quality of work is unbeatable."
Angelo’s Tailor (858) 456-13333rd Ave #B
Chula Vista, CA 91910
- Known as “the kind of mom-and-pop shop you can trust," Angelo is the owner and tailor that altars clothes to make them look like they were never worked on. Plus, good prices and fast service.
- "Angelo has hemmed some of my jeans and they never look like they were worked on. The prices are great too. I have paid $8 for most work: waist, length,ect.. Everything from formal gowns, to suits, to jeans."
Shimaki Tailoring (619) 422- 4370
207 3rd Ave
Chula Vista, Ca 91910
- Known for the best prices in town ($8 for a simple hem on jeans) and fast delivery as well as being able to work anything from suites to wedding dresses.
- "I took in two dresses to get hemmed and they did a fantastic job. The new hem looked even better than the original! The ladies here take pride in their work and really make sure that their finished product is top quality."
Anna Tailors and Formalwear (858) 792-8565
12750 Carmel Country Road
San Diego, Ca 92130-2171
- Known for friendly, fast, and high quality work at reasonable prices, their specialties are leather and suede. They do great tailoring with suites and jeans but not as well with wedding dresses.
- "I had 5 pair of pants hemmed (basic womens slacks, unlined) - $10 each. The ownership is super friendly and when it comes to their work, it is always done just right and always on time."
Golden Needle Tailor (858) 755-1312
1049 Camino Del Mar
Del Mar, CA 92014
-Cost $12 to have pants shortened or hemmed.
- " I have taken some of my more difficult items there and I'm never disappointed."
Kim’s Alterations (760) 436-2263
566 South Coast Highways 101
Encinitas, CA 92024-3531
- Mostly recognized for her alterations with wedding dresses and custom dressmaking, but has a great price of $9 for a simple hem.
- "Kim knows tailoring: Kim is better than alright."
- "Kim's Alterations is quality service by quality people. If you ask, they will rush your tailoring and the prices are extremely reasonable. I had a skirt that needed to be hemmed in two days: $8 flat!"
All American Tailors (619) 291-0908
322 W Washington St
San Diego, CA 92103
- Known for his excellent work but they are very busy. The service won't be fast unless you ask. They charge $10 for a hem on jeans.
- "This is the place to make you $300 suit look like it's worth twice that."
L & A Tailoring (619) 299- 7326
2917 University Ave (Between 29th St and 30th St)
San Diego, CA 92104
- Known for his keen eye for details and will tell you the truth about how things should fit and if he can really help. Plus, only 9$ for a hem on jeans.
- "If Tailoring was invented, it was by this guy!"
- " And did I mention that not only is he good, he is cheaper than all the other tailors in Hillcrest? I always let him do what he thinks is best, and it's always exactly perfect. Plus the prices are great, and turnover is quick and reliable."
Tammie’s Alterations & Tailoring (858) 274-9420
4454 Ingraham St
San Diego, CA 92109
- Known for their great service at great prices They can do anything from embroiders, fixing zippers and seams and only charge $7 for a pant hem.
- "This is the best alterations shop you can find, I really recommend using Tammie's if you want a perfect result for a low price!"
Pacific Tailor Shop (858) 274-8809
1774 Garnet Ave Suite C
San Diego, CA 92109
- Known for their amazing work at reasonable prices and fast delivery. $10 for a jean hem.
- "Melody’s worth the drive for her skill, fair pricing and efficiency."
Vega’s Tailor Shop (760) 729-7219
529 Carlsbad Village Dr. Suite A
Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Known as the best in Carlsbad but be prepared to pay $14.00 for hems.
- "When you want the best of the best, take your fine threads to Vega's Tailor Shop in Carlsbad. They are the absolute best. And they can do just about anything you need them to do. Need your jeans altered into daisy dukes? Want your long ball gown turned into a head turning cocktail dress? Go ahead, give them a try. You will be so glad that you did."
Amier’s Tailor Shop (619) 435- 3595
1113 10th Street
Coronado, CA 92118-3401
- Known for doing a beautiful job everytime and accommodating any time frame you give him. They have fair prices, charging $12 for hem on jeans.
- "I've tried several tailors in Coronado, but he's the one I'd recommend first."
Seasons Tailor Shop (858) 576- 4455
3582 Mt. Acadia Blvd
San Diego, CA 92111
- Known for having some of the lowest prices in all of San Diego while keeping their quality top shelf. Only charges $6 to hem pants.
- "She does an awesome job on pants, dresses and anything else you need altered."
La Moda Fine Tailoring (858) 342-9792
5375 Kearny Villa Road Suite 114
San Diego, CA 92120
- Specializes in suites but also does exceptional work on basics like dresses and jeans. Expect to pay $12 to hem your jeans.
- "He is an exceptional tailor and knows what he's doing. His prices are standard and his timeliness is acceptable. Not only is he the nicest guy and very efficient, his tailoring is spot-on perfect."